Monday, December 30, 2013

Young Marriage

Obviously my decision to start a blog wasn't random. I need to use my logic valve immediately.

Today I read the third or fourth anti-young-marriage Facebook post I've seen in the last week.

Surprising how each poster thinks he's in the overwhelming minority, like the whole world's against him and his ideas. And yet a day later, another post rears its ugly head.

Ok, there are some pretty bad arguments out there against marrying young. Most don't even merit the trouble of rebutting; a few of my personal favorites: "You don't know who you ARE yet." "You need to date around, kiss strangers, live it up." "Get a career first. Get stable." Yikes, people.

Then there are some better arguments. Like the higher divorce rate for younger couples.

Let me respond to that one real quick. All you anti-young-marriage-content-creators out there who favor this argument, lend me an ear, and think on this. Ready?

Read this next paragraph carefully.

Do you think there's a higher divorce rate among young marrieds because marrying young is a bad idea? Or--bear with me--because the kind of person who would marry young is more likely to be the kind of person who makes rash decisions, and is therefore more likely to get divorced no matter his age?

If there's even a CHANCE (which I think you'll agree there is) that the second explanation accounts for part of the statistic, then what good is a Facebook post against young marriage gonna do? Why not write a post urging people not to make rash decisions, no matter their age?

Oh...is that not controversial enough for Facebook?

Darn.

For that matter, what good will a Facebook post against young marriage do anyway? No more good than this blog! If you have to vent by posting things to the internet...at least be honest, and admit you're venting.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment